Last summer I found some really nice bag toss boards in the dumpster. I snagged them with the intention of refurbishing them to my liking. I finally got around to it today! I opted for a Microsoft vs Apple theme. Here’s the process.
- Detail Sander
- Old Shoes
- Sander Pads
- 1x Flat Blue, Grey, Black, Yellow, Orange, Green, White Spray Paint
- 2x Clear Coat
- 1x Ale Asylum Sticky McDoogle
Step 1: Sand
I actually did this last summer. I used the detail sander (orbital would have been better but didn’t have one) to remove a lot of the previous paint. I started with some corse grit and worked my way up to something like 220 grit.
Step 2: Base Coat
I decided not to prime the boards. These will always be used outside and I didn’t want to have to buy more paint than necessary. Since the Microsoft logo has 4 different colors, the paint added up quickly. I had to do about 2 coats to evenly coat and cover the previous color.
Step 3: Stencil Design
While the paint was drying I created the pattern for each of the boards. The Microsoft logo is the same shape repeated 4 times. I cut a piece of cardboard into the shape I wanted. I was looking for a logo size of about 20 square inches so I made the shape 10 inches squared.
For the Apple logo I opted to go with Rosin paper for the design. I couldn’t find a good piece of cardboard so I just grabbed it from the basement. I drew on the logo, freehand, by copying it from the computer. Then I cut it out with a scissors. It was close enough. 🙂
Step 4: Logo Application
Luckily it was sunny and hot today in Madison so the paint dried really quickly. For the Microsoft logo I measured an approximate location for the first shape and placed the stencil accordingly. I sprayed on orange first. I then waited for that color to dry and moved to the next. Working my way through all four shapes.
I used my hand and foot to hold the stencil in place while painting and removed it right after I was done. I made sure to wear crappy shoes.
I rolled up painters tape and stuck the Apple stencil to the other board.
I then just sprayed on the white. It took a good three coats to cover the black underneath.
Step 5: Clear Coat
I removed the stencils from the Microsoft logo promptly. Once all the shapes were painted and dried, I applied two clear coats.
When I removed the Rosin paper from the Apple logo, I found that some of the paint had snuck underneath. I kind of knew this was going to happen but was pleasantly surprised by the glowing effect it created.
I washed the board down with some warn water and let it dry. I then applied a couple clear coats.
Step 6: Beer
I then enjoyed my beer and took a glamour shot of the finished products. Now to buy some bags and have a barbeque!